As I’ve gotten older, my style of socializing has changed. Back in the day, double dating, or going out with other couples usually meany hanging out at a bar. As we got a little greyer, we went to dinner. Now that we’re a lot greyer, we started planning activities. Last night we tried a painting class.
Forgive me if I’m momsplaining, but paint parties consist of you, a bunch of other people, a painting guru, a small palette of paint, a canvas, three brushes and an apron. And wine. You bring your own wine. The guru gives you step by step directions, (literally, mix red and white paint to create pink), and explains things in a clear and easy format (paint a grey line that extends 3/4 of the way down your canvas). You joke around with your friends. You talk about how your own work looks like a Picasso but is supposed to be more realist….and you have fun.
You have fun because your relaxed. You’re relaxed because your out of your comfort zone and you don’t care. (Unless you’re actually an artist, which one of my friends is, and you’re freaking out because you own a very expensive MFA and you think your work is the worst.)
What’s the take away?
1) Socialize- its important to listen to other opinions and points of view. It’s fun to share experiences with people.
2) Be creative- especially if you usually aren’t. It allows you to look at things from a different perspective. It helps keep your brain active.
3) Go out of your comfort zone. Change and new can be good. You might find something you really enjoy.
4) Don’t worry that you’re not very good at something. Relish your imperfections.
5) Don’t do a paint night on the same day as you tried a new exercise routine. My shoulders were killing me.
the painting is not for sale!