How do you decided where to go away for a weekend or on a vacation?
Whenever I go on a vacation, or talk to someone who has been on vacation, I get wanderlust. I want to go everywhere and see everything- the world around me is so exciting!
Presently, we are trying to plan next years vacation. When I think of going away, my thought process begins as follows:
- I think about cost- how much do I want to spend on a vacation. As we need to rent a car for a driving trip, this is not often as affordable as one may think. Sometimes flying and renting a car somewhere else is cheaper.
- I like to go someplace I’ve never been before. If I an spending a lot of money, I want to see something new
- I prefer a place where we can mix up activities. I like history, I like maybe a minor hike or something in nature, and I like something cultural. In Barcelona we walked a ton, had a beach day, saw many historical things as well as art, went to the opera, and ate great food. It was a solid trip.
- Do we have enough time to do the things we want to do?
I then come up with a list of places that seem interesting/cool.
Our list for next year is:
- Machu Pichu
- Alaska via cruise with trip to Denali
- Switzerland, including the really cool train line
- Bali (this is a late addition as I just saw Ticket to Paradise and it looks amazing)- OK- I have just been informed that the movie was filmed in Queensland Australia. My apologies to Australia, but I think I would still like to go to Bali. And Australia…but I know that is not in the cards for next year.
As of now we are leaning towards Machu. To be frank, if we go I want to go as an organized tour, and some of the tour companies have an age limit of 60. Right? I know…
For the next two months I will research these places and start to form educated opinions on what works for us at this point. This is broad based: which location will offer us what we feel we “need” this year.
By January, the goal will be to have chosen a spot, and then the real research begins: when, how long, what do we want to do, how do we do it.
And then I will whine about buying airline tickets, but that’s a story for another day…
So…how do you plan a getaway? What’s your secret? What’s your timeline?