A while back I had a conversation with a fellow blogger. We were discussing books and ratings and the blogger, who is also a published author, said something along the lines of:
We shouldn’t say a book isn’t good or give it a bad or low star review because the author worked really hard at writing the book, and those who have never written a book shouldn’t judge.
Here are some things I know:
- It is very difficult to write a book.
- It is even more difficult to publish a book
- No one wants their work criticized
Here are some other things I know:
- No one wants to read a bad book
- If I am talking about a book I am going to be honest about how I felt about it
- My opinion really doesn’t matter in the world of opinions
- If you are going to put your work out there, you have to be prepared that someone is not going to like it.
Should we be truthful when reviewing books (or anything else for that matter)?
Should we not give a book a two star review because someone worked hard on it?
How do we feel about reviews, reviewers and criticism in general?