A few weeks ago one of my blog friends wrote about how many shoes she owned and we got into a discussion about what the “right” amount of shoes is. I’d read that the average woman owns 19 pairs of shoes and I, rather smugly, said that I had exactly 19 pairs of shoes. For some reason I thought it was a badge of honor that I was average in this category- I take some sort of weird pride in not owning too much of things.
Well, it turns out that I was wrong about the number of shoes that I own…
I actually own slightly more than 19 pairs…
I am a little annoyed that I own that many shoes and I was more annoyed that when I counted them out in my head without looking, I had shoes that I forgot I owned.
How do you forget shoes that you own? Doesn’t that mean that you don’t like them or wear them enough?
And are there shoes that I tend to wear more often? The theory is that the average woman owns 19 pairs, but really only wears four of them regularly.
Today, I am going to list all the shoes that I own, and we are going to figure out which ones to get rid of: (the shoes in bold are the ones I wear the most)
- knee high snow boots- practical and well made, but I haven’t worn much
- shorter snow books- furry lined, super waterproof, I find these are my go to boots when it snows small to medium, or when there is slush on the ground
- short black rain boots- It rains here and I walk a lot
- Gym sneakers- I wear these probably 350 days of the year
- waterproof hiking sandals- bought specifically for a vacation trip I don’t know how often I will use, but I don’t feel I should ditch them
- black suede pumas- My go to fall/winter shoe- though they are at least two years old and starting to wear inside and out
- white canvas sneakers- for some reason I don’t wear these much
- grey striped slip on sneaker- spring/summer staple
- black leather slip on sneaker- never seem to come out ahead of black pumas
- knee high suede boots- I wear these if I wanted to be “dressed” but the weather isn’t so great- starting to fray a bit
- knee high black leather boots– I love these boots
- grey faux snakeskin booties- these pinch at the toes a little and I think they are very 2018
- black leather booties- I love these but they only work with slacks which I don’t wear that often
- grey suede workboots- love these, but only work in late fall/winter and only go with leggings
- black mid calf moto boots– these go three seasons and are super comfortable and not polished leather so can be worn if weather is iffy
- black suede ballet flats– these are my spring and fall go to shoe
- block heel casual sandal- hmmm…why do I keep these?
- flat black casual sandal– love. love.love
- walking sandal (like a teva)- so easy to throw on and walk a lot
- low wedge dressy/strappy sandal with crystals – these are my new special occasion shoes and are supremely comfortable
- black furry lined slip on clogs– I wear these when writing, and when I’m wandering around the house
- pink fuzzy open toe slippers that I wear with my dressing gown (no fooling- very Nora Charles but no heel) they make me feel glam and adorable and I love them
So which shoes go?
Clearly I’m ditching the heeled casual sandal. Who am I kidding? I’m never walking anywhere in something with a heel. Especially casually.
And while I’m putting things in the give away bag, the faux snakeskin booties are going. Not worth it for the pain they cause.
The black suede knee high boots are also a toss because they are starting to fray and not worth repairing.
Black suede sneakers are a toss because they don’t have much life left. However, I can’t imagine not replacing them because I LOVE THEM.
I have to figure out why I don’t wear the slip on sneakers and the white canvas sneakers. I love the look of them so why don’t I put them on? I need to start wearing them.
I am pleased that I wear 50% of my shoes with regularity. And I’m happy that I really do love the majority of what I own.
But now it’s your turn-
How many shoes do you own, and how often do you wear them? Are there any shoes in your wardrobe that can be ditched? What are you sending to the donation pile? Which shoes can you just not get rid of?
FYI- I didn’t put in pictures because I was too lazy. If you want to see pictures of any of the shoes, comment and I will drop a picture on Sunday