I set a reading goal of 100 books. I am happy to report that I did indeed reach, and exceed my goal. As of December 18, I have finished 113 books! Yay me. Of course there were winners and losers:
My Best Books of the Year (in no particular order)- These are the books that are going to stay with me.
- The Push by Ashley Audrain
- Black Buck by Mateo Askaripour
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
- The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
- Anxious People by Fredrik Backman
- The Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin
- Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci
- The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
My Worst Books of the Year (in no particular order)- These are the books I’m going to tell you to avoid like the plague- no pun intended
- Palms and Pomegranates by L.S. Csida
- The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld
- How the One Armed Sister Sweeps her House by Cherie Jones
- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
- Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
I did my own experiment this past year: I marked down how I heard about a book. While some books that I’ve read I truly didn’t remember how I heard about them, I had an origin story for the vast majority.
Most of the books I read were from Goodreads Newsletter, but to mixed results- they were neither all winners nor all losers. My favorite books of the year were also a mix of book clubs such as Jenna and GMA, magazines like Real Simple and Good Housekeeping. There was no clear winner as to where I got recommendations from.
As to the worst books- many of the books that fell to the bottom of my pile were books recommended to me by people in my book clubs. People I personally know were by far the worst recommenders of books.
Why? My guess is that when I pick a book from a source, there is clearly something that interests me enough to read the book. Many book club choices are books I would never read on my own. Reading blindly is both good and bad.
As to my Goodreads stats:
37,554 pages read
Shortest book: Simple Organizing 128 pages
Longest Book: Cloud Cuckoo Land 626 pages
Average Book Length- 332 pages
Most Popular: Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Least Popular: Palms and Pomegranites
My average rating: 3.6
Highest Rated on Goodreads: The Man Who Died Twice
My goal for next year….
drum roll please…
And…for all those wondering…I got my TBR down to a manageable 72 books!!