Two people meet. They fall in love. They decide that they both really want to have kids. They may or may not live happily after.
Two people meet. They fall in love. They decide that they both DON’T want children. They may or may not live happily after.
Two people meet. They fall in love. One wants children. The other doesn’t. Then what happens?
Let’s play with scenario three for a second.
You and your significant other get along great except for this one nagging little detail. You don’t agree on children.
- Do you break up with the person?
- Do you go along with the wishes of the other because your love is too pure and you’re not leaving your soulmate over this?
- Do you spend your life convincing the other person of your side and coerce them into doing what you want?
Two people meet. They fall in love. They both decide they don’t want children. After being together for X years, one of them changes their mind and decides they want children.
What happens next?
Everyone is entitled to change their mind. We all grow and change and whatever. But what if you change your mind about a big thing? Whether or not you have a child is a big thing.
- Do you split with the person because you really want a child and they don’t?
- Do you coerce your partner into doing something that they don’t want?
- Do you trick your partner into having a child?
Should anyone be forced to have a child if they don’t want one?
Raising a child is a lot of work. Having children is a certain lifestyle. I completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to have a child.
Having a child is a wonderful experience. It’s a different path, but worth the time and effort and money. I completely understand why someone would want a child.
I get both sides.
But what do you do if you and your partner aren’t on the same page?