So I was going to Target…(I’m beginning to think I could write a book of essays just based on my trips to Target…
Let me set the location of my local Target: It’s on a busy street in Manhattan. There are always people walking these streets and there are always cars, trucks and busses.
You get that this is a busy, highly trafficked location. I can not stress enough how many people pass by here…
So I’m approaching Target…
And I see a young girl outside the store, with a man who I will presume to be a relation (I have to take a guess here as I have no real knowledge)
The girl is about three/four years old.
The girl is just wearing her underpants.
What are my thoughts at this moment?
- I am a Mom. I know how hard it is sometimes to get your kid to wear things, like socks and hats. I understand that clothing can also fall under that umbrella.
- If we were at the park and this was the sprinkler, would this be an issue for me?
- Would I be as worried if this were a little boy running around in his underwear? Am I being a sexist?
- Do I have a problem with nudity? Am I a prude?
- It’s not especially hot today
- Gee, if I did a sex offender map, the whole neighborhood would probably light up. This is an area with SRO’s and shelters. While some of those people might be down on their luck, some of them might not be (FYI- when my daughter was under 18 I needed to volunteer at the soup kitchen with her because so many of the people who visited were registered sex offenders. And the place we used to volunteer at wouldn’t let her serve people: we could only do the prep before it opened to the public)
- Is this guy even her Father? Sorry, I totally had to wonder this…I know it’s wrong but this is still a young kid
- Is it any of my business what this kid is wearing, because really, is there anything wrong with a child being outside in her undies?
- If someone were to take a picture of her, and send it, would it be distributing child porn?
If you saw a kid on the street wearing just underpants, what would your thoughts be?
I chose not to do anything. Because really, I don’t know the situation. Is it fair for me to intrude on this scene when I have absolutely no facts?
Was my course of action the right one?
I don’t know.
How do you know when to intercede in a situation?
If you were me, what would you have done?