So imagine you’re me. You’re wearing a black dress and comfy sandals. You’re carrying a big tote bag that contains the dog’s flea prevention medicine, light bulbs and zucchini. You and the dog have been out for at least an hour running errands.
You’re approaching your building. You pass the bar/restaurant next door, and you notice the lockbox on the front door is open with the key exposed (a lockbox is literally what it sounds like- proprietors place it on the door or security gate. You either use an app or a code to open it and retrieve the key that actually opens the door or gate)
You see the box open. You know that anyone passing by can access the building. You know that there is probably a security system, but you feel bad that someone can get the key…
What do you do?
- try to close the box
- take the key and leave your number
- call the establishment
- call non emergency police station number
- call city info number (311 in New York)
- Do nothing
- Pretend you didn’t see anything
- Do nothing and then worry that something bad will happen
- Try to close the box, be unable to do it, then worry that your fingerprints are all over it
Inquiring minds want to know!