Dr. Seuss books numbering six the publisher decided to nix the pictures he drew the rhymes that he spew are no longer okay with the culture today
I assume you all know what happened with Dr. Seuss this week.
I completely understand that we have to learn from the past. We have to look at the stereotypes and misinformation that has spread in our society, and we have to move forward. We are a different place now, and the things that are published should reflect this.
So, in keeping with this…I think we should no longer publish the following:
- Product that refers to women as bitches, whores (ho’s) or c****s- because we have come too far as a society to allow women to be referred to in such a degrading manner and have names that belay a certain type of individual.
- Product that shows the pretty girl/woman as being mean and backstabbing because we have come too far as a society to stereotype attractiveness with meanness, or “bitchiness”
- Product that shows the pretty girl/woman being happy with no problems, because we have come too far as a society to think that attractiveness equates with an easy, happy life
- Product that shows the fat girl/woman as the best friend sidekick because we have come too far to think that people who may be overweight do not deserve to be in the spotlight
- Product that shows the quirky girl/woman as the one who is always part of a love triangle because the hot guy never sees their true worth because we have come too far as a society to let someone’s uniqueness be seen as odd or off putting romantically
- Product that shows girls/women as martyrs who sacrifice everything for their partner/child, because we have come too far as a society to let someone who is a caretaker be seen as “less than”
- Product that pits the stay at home Mom vs. the working Mom because we’ve come too far as a society to think that there is one way to parent and that the other way is wrong
- Product that labels girls/women as sluts because we have come too far as a society to allow women who enjoy sex to be labeled as something derogatory (we know Taylor Swift had something to say about this topic this week…)
- Product that labels Mothers as helicopter, free range, lawn mower or tiger, because as a society we have come to far to think that parenting is easy and that anyone has a clue as to how to parent
- Product that shows that women/girls who are PMSing are nasty, moody and crave chocolate because as a society we have come too far to allow a natural, normal biological thing as something to be made fun of
- Product that shows women who are peri, post or just plain menopausal as being not quite a woman anymore, because we have come too far as a society to let women going through a biological event to be considered no longer worthy of attention
- Product that shows younger women marrying older men as being golddiggers, because we have come too far as a society to question what love looks like
- Product that shows women/girls who are intelligent to be seen as undesirable as romantic partners or as anything else because as a society we have come too far to think those who are smart are not funny, sexy, caring or other qualities normally seen as desirable, and that no man wants to be with a woman who is smarter than them
Can we get on this?
And while we are at it…can we please
ban not publish “WAP”?
But don’t worry- Another groundbreaking thing happened this week. Amazon changed their logo. You no longer have to look at it and see Hitler’s mustache. I’m glad they finally got around to adapting it. We’ve come too far as a society to need to look at Hitler’s mustache every time we go Prime…