In a world where no one shares the same opinion about anything…
And everyone thinks they are right…
Does it annoy people more when someone says”I agree to disagree”?
Do you think that some people just want to keep hammering their point home? (and yes- I can totally be accused of this, so you can prosecute me with all the rest of them. It will be a pretty big trial)
I know someone- they may or may not be a parental figure- who will bring up the same thing every conversation- they will couch it in different ways- but the underlying sentiment is the same.
I think it annoys this person more when I say- “I don’t want to discuss this topic.” I think some people become irrational when they hear this. I have pissed off liberals. conservatives, democrats, republicans, libertarians, green party….I am a full service annoyer…
As a rule, I try to avoid discussing politics, religion and money. (FYI- if you think some of the things I’ve discussed are politics- I’ll agree to disagree)
One person I know says that they “Want to hear my opinion”
There is nothing wrong with wanting to hear someone’s opinion: but here is what I’ve found to happen:
- They don’t actually listen to what you are saying: they are preparing a response in their head that may or may not address what you’ve stated
- They are prepared to argue against you with “facts”
- They will tell you that your “sources” are wrong. (Last week someone discredited the Wall Street Journal as a news source, and told me that a quote I obtained from watching a live interview was “not what the guy meant to say”)
- They assume that if you are conservatives or liberal on one issue, that you will strongly abide my that sides “take” on everything, not thinking that you could be a one from column A, one from column B sort of person
- Even if you agree with them on a certain point, they will hammer away with why the other side is “wrong”…
I love to argue, debate and discuss.
I do like to get people passionate about an argument.
But the things I most like to discuss are the things that have no answer- they can’t be fed into a computer with some binary code which spits out 0 or 1
Do you want to play a game? (a point to anyone who can name this reference)
Should people write memoirs? There is no yes or no to this question- only discussion.
Should major corporations set out to solve the problems of the world? Again- there is no right or wrong answer- there is just opinion.
But just because something can’t be answered doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed…
But we seem to not be allowed to discuss anything anymore. We have become a society of YES or NO.
RIGHT or WRONG
Things must be unilateral…
Isn’t that boring- everyone being exactly the same?
I know I have annoyed people when I counter their arguments with things they can’t refute- or given them a plausible opposing statement. Or said the words- “Is this the best way to spend time, resources and money?”. Just because something is a good idea doesn’t mean it’s a good idea right now…
Timing is everything they say…
I have used the phrase “I agree to disagree” more times in the past year than I ever have before. And I think I’ve really annoyed a bunch of people with this statement. Because I don’t want to discuss politics or religion or money. And I am not willing to say that people are stupid and that “those other people” are wrong.
I am really trying my hardest to look at all sides of an issue…
And I agree to disagree with anyone who doesn’t.