Yesterday, I spoke about some of the new questions that arose since many began telecommuting. This brought up whether or not working from home should be the new norm, after the international nightmare that we’re all living is over.
While I believe that some people can work from home, and some jobs can be done remotely, and that this model works for some…
I do not think that working from home is a shift that we want to take.
Here are my cons:
- What would we do with existing office space?
- How would we make up for tax revenue because office space wasn’t rented/bought and buildings are empty?
- What about other people who work in office buildings such as custodial staff, security, building maintenance and electricians?
- What would happen to other businesses that feed off people working in adjacent buildings, like restaurants and such?
- Are the majority of people self disciplined enough to work effectively when there are distractions around?
- Do people have the space to have one or two (or more) dedicated office spaces in their home? (consider families as well as those in a roommate situation)
- How does an entry level worker learn their job well?
- How do you network?
- How do you learn what other jobs are out there? (think of this- when kids are in college, they often don’t know what they want to be because they lack exposure to the kind of jobs that exist. Once you begin working, your ability to see what that guy over there does becomes non existent because that guy over there is your houseplant
- Will promotions be based solely on your work output with no regard to how well you interact with others?
- Are skype interviews really the best way for all things?
- Some places (rural) do not have quality internet- how can one work from home without reliable day to day internet access
- What about people who live in areas where internet service goes down easily?
- How much of you personal information do you want exposed on someone’s non secure internet line?
- What would it like for people if they had no human contact with others throughout the day?
- How many relationships would fall apart just because familiarity breeds contempt?
- Would peoples bad habits (like workaholic or lazy) be exacerbated because they have no boundaries?
These are just a few of the cons that I have. Would love to hear the pros to my cons…