I am old enough to remember when brand had a different connotation. Back then, one smoker would ask another “What’s your brand?” As I never smoked, I never understood the devoted loyalty to one brand or another. And as an adult, I don’t understand the emphasis on branding yourself.
No- I don’t mean physically branding yourself with a hot iron, but I guess tattoo’s are a sort of branding….but anyway…
Yesterday I was talking to Sorryless, and our conversation turned to this oft used 21st century phrase. Brand- who you are, what you represent, who should follow you and why. We joked around with a few adjectives that would be included in our statement and then I thought about something: Isn’t you “About” section essentially your brand? And then I thought about a recent conversation with Claudette, where she wrote about About….and yeah…the blogging community comes through again.
So today, I decided to work on my Brand, aka, About. Here’s what I came up with:
- Talks too much
- Makes lists for everything
- Contradictory just to inspire conversation
- Morning Person
- Likes food way too much
- Always about to start, in the middle of, or just finished a book
- Reads everything
- Drinks way too much tea
- Can’t stand hypocrisy
- Never talks about her daughter or the college experience
- Believer is beauty products
- Has been on a diet since 1980
- Hates shopping for clothes
- Loves browsing in Container Store
- Has a tiny obsession with movies
- Hasn’t met a cozy mystery she doesn’t like
- Guilty pleasure is watching Catfish (oops- cats out of the bag now)
- Met Fan (perhaps that should be my guilty pleasure)
- Loves organizing, hates cleaning (and yes- there is a difference)
- Loves Impressionism and doesn’t care if it’s trite
- Loves Bach and doesn’t care that it’s trite either
- Will travel for the perfect cheeseburger and fries
- Cats and dogs- especially kittens and puppies
- Lousy at Words With Friends
- Always has a camera
- Fixated with Botanic Gardens
- Has a little thing about ghost tours and visiting cemeteries at night
- A wee bit sarcastic
- hates too hot, also hates too cold
- Proud to be a New Yorker
- Tennis. Love.
- Dyes her hair blonde though she used to totally mock blondes and originated many of the blonde jokes you hear
- Doesn’t talk politics or anything that is totally based on one’s opinion
- Needs glasses to see distance, but doesn’t need them close up which means glasses are usually on top of head
- Cries at movies and commercials
- Will see any live performance
- Popcorn with butter
- two flavors: spicy or spicier
- Cooking yes; baking no
- music, music, music, except anything with misogynistic lyrics or screaming banging
- sucker for 80’s rock ballads- or really anything 80’s
- Pink starburst
- Milk chocolate
- Strawberry short cake
- hot fudge sundaes
- Gingerbread cookies, soft- never hard
- believer in signs and patterns
- lousy speller and hates autocorrect
- Grammar? Who cares…..
- Hates being late- thanks Claudette…..
Ok- there you go:
So what do you think? Additions or subtractions?
What’s you brand?