My Daughter arrives home late tonight. Judging from the pictures, a good time was had by all… Here’s some random thoughts from my week:
- Evening went by rather quickly. Saturday we spent the day at the Morgan Library. Sunday was Easter- we were at my parents. Monday- we went out to dinner. Tuesday he had a work dinner. Wednesday he played tennis and then we watched TV. Thursday I went to the theater with my Mom. We are going out to dinner tonight. Coexisting time successful.
- There is something to being able to do things spontaneously. Husband was supposed to go to Met game on Monday but he bailed because of rain. Tuesday he was supposed to be home but got invited to something at last minute. My Father was supposed to go to play with my Mom but wasn’t feeling well. We were able to pick up and go because my Daughter wasn’t even a consideration. It was a weird feeling.
- We did not watch as much TV as I thought we would- that’s what many empty nesters tell me happens- TV viewership goes up
- But- we have two TV’s in our apartment: one in the living room and one in my Daughter’s bedroom. I did find myself going in my daughters bedroom to watch TV at about 10:30 because I could not face any more hockey or basketball. I can see the whole TV thing coming to fruition. Her bedroom makes for a really nice den.
- My Daughter texted me on Tuesday or Wednesday “Do you want to talk to me?” I responded “Sure. But why?” and she wrote back- “well, everyone has called their parents by now. I feel bad that I haven’t called.” To be fair, we had texted each other randomly throughout her stay- more housekeeping than anything else. I figured she was having fun. I didn’t need to talk to her. Funny she felt guilty though.
- However- I did keep my phone out at all times in case she tried to reach me. Will I ever not keep my phone out when she’s away? Will I ever not want to look at “Where’s my iPhone?”
- My dog got into my garbage twice this week. And proceeded to spout out of both ends. Considering college for my dog.
I know that this was easy to get through because it was a short period of time and the weather is nice. I realize that in a few months it will be a much different experience. Packing up her clothes and computer and guitar will be much harder. Knowing she’s gone will be daunting.
But I’ll survive….