I have been purging clothing for a few weeks now and I feel I am down to a manageable number. Sort of. I’m in sort of a refinement process- I have a few maybe’s and I probably still have more clothes than I need.
After reading about closet purges, minimalist closets and curating wardrobes I have come to the conclusion that the number of seasonal clothes one should have is somewhere between 30 and 40 items. But this does not mean you need 120 items in your wardrobe. I live in a true four season environment (which I may regret tomorrow) so some pieces of my wardrobe are multi seasonal- for example I always have a black short sleeve t shirt accessible.
In this number I am not including:
- winter coats
- weather related shoes
- athletic wear
- the gross clothes you tuck away when you need to paint or do heavy cleaning
So here it is-my winter wardrobe- and there will be some explanation in some cases:
- 3 heavy, oversized turtleneck sweater. Now right off the bat I have an issue. I love all of these sweaters (one is a cashmere I have owned for about twenty years) but I find that they are too heavy to wear because though they might be fine when walking somewhere, they are too hot to wear inside. As they are turtlenecks they are not conducive to wearing something under them. But I actually love all of them. I’m in a quandary.
- 4 sweatshirts. Two are polar fleece and I love them because if we do a nature walk (like last weekend) they are perfect. But these are really more a fall item when I wear them instead of a jacket- truth be told they are not really a winter item. One is my favorite medium weight writing top. The other is an all purpose zip up hoodie. I am confident with this number. I love and use all of these items.
- 5 medium weight sweaters. These are the mainstay of my afternoon casual wardrobe. It’s probably one too many but I love them.
- 3 cardigans- one long grey medium weight, burgundy that looks more like a blazer and heavier, and black grey and burgundy which is more like a poncho- also heavier. I must admit I have become obsessed with cardigans- they are perfect for me and my lifestyle. Much more versatile than a pullover sweater when it’s cold out
- 3 long sleeve t shirts (two black and one grey) One of them is strictly a writing t shirt as it’s comfy.
- 3 short sleeve t shirts (one grey graphic, one black, and one black velvet)
- 2 long sleeve blouses (white with stripes and white with black stars)
- 1 short sleeve blouse (metallic pink and dressy)
- 1 black silk tank (also dressy)
- 3 blazers (one structured, one knit moto style and a tapestry one that I’ve owned since college and I adore though when my college friends read this they are going to mock me)
- 1 black jeans
- 1 black slacks
- 3 black leggings (one is dressier with faux leather patches and two are 5$ old navy specials)
- 1 fleece sweatpants
- 3 winter weight dresses (black, grey and black and grey)
- 1 all purpose lbd for afternoon events
- 1 all purpose lbd for evening events
Which puts me at 39 pieces. Yikes.
- 1 black suede sneakers
- 2 knee high black boots (low heel and high heel)
- 2 booties (black and grey animal print)
- 1 furry lined boot
- 1 black kitten heel pump
- 2 black satchel bags- large and medium
- 2 crossbody- one small for errands, one large for outdoor treks when I want to carry camera and such
- 1 small suede shoulder bag for evening casual
- 1 large black tote
Bringing my grand total to 52 pieces.
So here’s the thing: how much smaller can I go? Do I want to go smaller? (For the record, I also have a few maybe items still floating around that I did not take into account. Guess what’s going in the donation pile?)
Now that I have this number I’m going to drill down and see if all of these items are really worth keeping. That will depend on how many other seasons they can be worn in. Much of this list works for late fall as well as early spring.
Tomorrow will be a little glimpse into how I make outfits out of these pieces, and why I like outfits. But for now, I’m off to reevaluate.