As I love movies, and I have dubbed this movie week, I’m going to present you with the movies that I think are the best of all time. When I say best, I mean films which are exceptional in script, acting, costumes, sets, editing, music and effects. Every single aspect of film making is exemplary. And more importantly, when these pieces are put together it is a true work of art. This is MY personal list: I’m sure there are people who will hate some of the films that I’ve chosen, or don’t think they are good examples are superior film making, but that really doesn’t matter. Different films are going to appeal to different people.
- Casablanca- The script-The acting- the chemistry between actors-the soundtrack. Magic.
- Schindler’s List- The choice to do it in black and white except for that one scene- that alone makes it one of the most powerful movies ever.
- Shawshank Redemption- I never thought a prison movie could teach me that much about life and human nature. Outstanding and I think highly underrated.
- Rear Window. Hitchcock fans might disagree with me, but I think this movie says it all. I think it’s his best work.
- Gone With the Wind- Epic- Vivian Leigh is a force to be reckoned with
- The Wizard of Oz- Come on- just beautiful
- Some Like it Hot- Still one of the most clever movies I’ve ever seen. And the timing of the actors and the expressions. Gold.
- The Godfather- As close to perfect as a movie is going to get
- The Philadelphia Story- I have a think about Hepburn and Grant….
- Raiders of the Lost Ark- I thought this movie was brilliant and entertaining.
Now a funny thing happened as I wrote this list: I realized that some of these are actually some of my favorites as well. There goes that theory…
So what are some of the movies that you think are superior examples of filmmaking?