Happy Father’s Day to all the parental figures out there! My Dad and Father in law will be joining us today. I’m betting there is a blog in this somewhere. Stay tuned!
My Daughter finished Junior Year classes this week. Wow. I remember telling you she started classes – and now it’s over. Onward and upward!
I finally bowed to family pressure and bought a new dishwasher. Oddly, I wasn’t going to buy a new one yet- I was still playing Torquemada and torturing them- but as I was walking yesterday I passed the appliance store and saw a great price on one, which was made great by an employee mismarking the sale price (sorry- not sorry) and it’s in stock, so once I get the paperwork sorted (living in a co op has certain rules and restrictions) I will have a dishwasher! OK- I was at about my limit of them washing the dishes…
What I Saw/Watched:
- Ocean’s 8 (fun and fluffy and cool clothes)
- MasterChef (Fox TV)
- I have found no summer TV that I like- here’s to nice weather
What I did:
- There is an outdoor exhibit of pianos. The pianos are painted in a theme (this year is Broadway) and they are placed all over the city. I went to check out some yesterday. My favorite was from “Dear Evan Hanson”
- On my way to find a piano, I had jotted (in my memory, why write something down when I can try to memorize 5 addresses) I thought that address of a piano was 474 Sixth Avenue. And when I approached what appeared to me 474 Sixth I saw a park. As most of these pianos are in parks and squares, I assumed this was right. Well, I had the address wrong, and it was not the right place, but I found this awesome little park- Jefferson Market Park. So I looked at flowers, and sat on a bench, and just thought about everything. It was a perfect, unexpected moment,
and oddly exactly what I needed yesterday.
- Last PTA meeting of the year- possibly forever. I’m already experiencing parental senioritis
What I listened to:
Yes- it’s eclectic. What did you expect?
- “Thinking out Loud” Ed Sheeran (earworm- got this stuck in my head on Thursday and couldn’t shake it- it’s playing in a loop in my brain)
- “Farewell Transition” Kevin Molloy
- “Every time the Feeling” Nap Eyes
- “Nice and Quiet” Bedouine
- Carpriccio espagnol Op. 34 conducted by Bernstein (expect a lot of Bernstein- he and I are having a moment)
- “Shoot the Straight” Brothers Osborne
- “L-O-V-E” Gregory Porter – this is a new version of an iconic song, and I think it’s a brilliant update
What I read:
- “How Hard Can it Be” Allison Pearson (I loved “I Don’t Know How She Does it” and I am enjoying reading about Kate again. She’s gotten older but hasn’t really grown up.
- “The Ever After”- I finished it- and I told (I think- see I need to write everything down) Nina I would give my thoughts, so here’s spoilers and my thoughts:
OK- first off. I recently read the book Pekkanen cowrote (“The Wife Between Us”) and her characters “sound” the same, even though they are supposed to be different. I know her character is supposed to be strong, but I felt the main character was a total wimp and too stereotypical- she was like a stock character of the spouse who is cheated on (and to be clear I thought Pekkanen so overdramatized the situation.) But, there are bound to be people who will cheer this book and the character, but those same people will hate the ending. I thought it was very average and the main character wasn’t well drawn out. Also, the husband was poorly written, as were the friends. All the people were one dimensional and typical. For a book that is probably supposed to be character/plot, the whole thing was too safe and predictable. Bleh….
What is in your fridge now:
- Baby spinach
- probably 6 different kinds of hot sauce
- ginger ale, sprite and Snapple iced tea (my daughter had friends over Friday night)
- really rotten lime
- some white wine I threw in when I realized there was no chilled white
- heavy cream
- coffee creamer
- leftover mac and cheese
- chocolate frosting (kids again)
- peanut butter
- peach preserves
- the standard condiments (well, standard for us as I don’t know how many people have fish sauce and oyster sauce in their condiment section)
And no- I haven’t reorganized the fridge but I need to soon. I can’t let them put away groceries ever again…