I don’t have resolutions. People don’t tend to stick to resolutions- resolutions end as the month of February begins. I always hate going to the gym in January- 1 million new members join and show up. he gym gets crowded. On February 1st, we will retain 5 new members. The rest are just making the gym happy by paying dues.
I have goals. I make a plan. I break the goal into little steps. I write those down in my planner. These are my goals, both big and small.
- Last year, one of my new goals was to make sure I saw my 5 closest local friends once a month. I did a great job with keeping that, though sometimes monthly wasn’t possible. It was really nice being able to connect with my friends in real time as opposed to texting.
- Last year I also began unsubscribing to the random promotional emails I get. I still have so many. this year I plan on getting rid of the store emails.
- I am not shopping specifically because there is a sale. I end up with things I do not want/need. I would rather pay more for something I love.
- Eating healthy. Of course there are many definitions of this, like, I ate blueberry crumble pie for breakfast the other day and I decided it was healthy because duh, blueberries and the topping was made of oats and nuts. As far as my brain was concerned I was eating granola and fruit with milk. (I can’t have pie without whipped cream)
- Novel. I plan on finishing my novel and 2nd draft.
- Literary agent. Yes. I need one.
- Blogging- 5 days a week assuming I have internet connection.
- Date nights with husband 1-2 times a week, one of those being couples/group date thing
- One activity with my daughter
- Dropping 12 pounds that crept up on me
- Knitting. I’ve always wanted to learn
- Getting a little better at photography
- reading 50 books – (I fell a little short this year- I stand at 45- I may read 4 picture books and finish book I’m reading
- Organize blog reading time better. I have so many blogs I want to read, but I need to find a better way to incorporate reading them. This is a work in progress cause i don’t know the best way yet
- Trying to be a little more stylish. No idea how I’m going to break this up into little pieces and plan it out. This could be a tough one. (says the woman currently in a stained sweatshirt, leggings and faux fur lined boots- it’s 15 degrees in NYC but feels like 2 in my apartment)
- Try different teas. I tend to get into a tea rut where I drink my old standbys. I want to be more adventurous.
- Exercise at least 5 days a weeks and make sure I do weights at least twice. I tend to do my cardio but I’m really bad at the weights thing, but I know it’s necessary
- Ok- this isn’t a goal but an anecdote of sorts. My daughter, though a battle worn and urbane 16 year old, also has a soft, whimsical side. In NYC we have internet kiosks, places on street corners that used to house pay phones now have places where you can charge your device or scroll the internet. On Christmas Eve these kiosks had a special call Santa feature. As we walked home from the restaurant where we had family dinner, My daughter asked me to come with her to “Call Santa.” We smiled as the Santa voice came on and asked if she’d been good (questionable) and what she wanted. She smiled and laughed, the 5 year old coming out in her eyes, and she said “Santa, how about putting a good word for me at ___________( the impossible to get into college she wants). The Early action decisions come out before Christmas next year.” So this isn’t a goal, it isn’t a wish, it’s just me knowing I have to put on my Mom pants in 2018 and help my kid in whatever capacity she needs me- so I need the strength to help her.
Happy New Year to you all and hoping 2018 is spectacular.