The other day I made the mistake of saying that the Millennials killed love…. big mistake. My favorite Millennial blogger schooled me about this topic- they do love, and believe in love, but….the definition of love has shifted a bit. It’s logical when you think about it- love is fluid. Love is undefinable. Ask 10 people to define love, and you will get 10 different answers. For example:
- John Le Carre- “Love is whatever you can still betray. Betrayal can only happen if you love.”
- Pat Benatar-” Love is a Battlefield”
- Andy Williams- “Love is a Many Splendored Thing” (fyi- splendored means brilliant- don’t ever say my blog doesn’t teach you anything)
- Shakespeare- “Love is a smoke and is made with fume of sighs”
- Ann Landers-“Love is friendship that has caught fire.”
- Aristotle- “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
- Maya Angelou- “Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.:
- Yogi Berra-“Love is the most important thing in the world. but baseball is pretty good too.”
- Nietzsche- “Love is blind: friendship closes its eyes.”
- Plato- “Love is a serious mental disorder.”
As you can see- we humans have been discussing love for a long time- but who is right? All of them. Who is wrong? None of them. Because the definition of love resides in the heart and mind of each individual. Each person brings in their own unique definition of love.
What’s my definition of love? Damned if I know. Is it looking forward to talk and spending time with someone? Yes. Is it thinking about them when they’re not around? Yes. But I think this way about cheeseburgers, so is there something more?
Sexual desire? Is that love, or lust? Does it matter? Sex is sex…..(but at least I don’t think about cheeseburgers lustily, so we’re ok)
Is love wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone? I think we all start out like this- “I’ll love you forever.” Now, we know this doesn’t always work out…so does that mean it wasn’t really love? Can love be temporary? Is it still love if it only lasts a few years? Back to cheeseburgers- I have loved cheeseburgers for the majority of my life, and I don’t see the affection waning……….
So basically, all I’ve established today is that I’m in the middle of a lifestyle change and I’m craving a cheeseburger…..
You didn’t think I had the answer to what is love, did you?
I know I have loved. I know that I love. I guess, love is allowing your heart to open so much that it can break. It’s letting someone into the recesses of your soul, even though logic keeps telling you to stop. Love is letting yourself be vulnerable- trusting someone with your essence, knowing that the other person has the ability to destroy you- but you do it anyway- because love is worth losing yourself. To love fully is to experience the best and worst parts of life- and live to tell the tale.
So – what’s your definition of love? remember- there are no wrong answers.