And I can’t hide it…I’m about to show you my new planner…….
I think I have found the perfect planner.
Don’t you get excited and jump up and down about the thoughts of a new planner?
Did you think I actually had something different to be excited about?
Seriously- I’m boring.
Some people have fitness goals, some have relationship goals, there are all sorts of goals. Me- I have planner goals.
I have always toyed around with spending a gazillion dollars on a certain “name” planner system (those of you in the planner world know to whom I speak of), but then, lo and behold, on a recent trip to Target with my daughter (Mom- they have the best cheap, graphic tee’s) I spotted it- the planner of my dreams- and it was 20$. (to the non-planner people out there, this is a bargain)
Now, you know I don’t often wax poetic about purchases- I’m always on the declutter path. But this was my best purchase of the year.
What is so good about this planner?
- it has a month view, with enough space to actually write something
- it has a page for every week day, and a combined page for Saturday/Sunday
- the daily pages feature hourly time slots, a to do list, a tonight section, notes and gratitude
- It has about 10 pages in the back for notes
- It has tabs separating the months
cons of planner
- It spans July to July. My only problem with this is that I didn’t discover it until September. I thought about asking for money off, to compensate for the months I had lost, but I didn’t want to offend the employees of target and risk them deciding I wasn’t worthy of this sacred object
- I would like individual pages for Saturday and Sunday. I have a life on those two days that require at least a page each (No- not really, but I like to think that I do)
- I would like a blank page in each month section- sort of formalize goals and such
- would love a pocket to put papers in- I oddly end up with paper that has to be dealt with
Here’s the topic you’ve all been waiting for: How I use my planner!! Trust me, I feel your excitement as you’re reading this!!
Full disclosure- I use Google calendar. Every appointment I make is visible on my computer, phone and ipad. I find this indispensable, because I often run around with just my phone and very small wallet. I like being able to add an event at any time, and know that I have not double booked.
But- back to the planner…..
- I mark in pen the events that I am definitely attending
- in pencil I mark down things that I may want to do
- birthdays and holidays
- vacations and off days of school
- As I am a volunteer, free lancer and aspiring author, my days can be arranged differently than most. I mark down hourly how much time I am assigning to each activity. I include time to run errands and exercise.
- Whenever I have something “to do” I determine how important the thing is, and write it on the date that seems logical.
- If something must be done on that day, I highlight it
- I plan meals in advance and write them in- and I clip the recipe on the cover of the book (love magnetic book marks)
- I schedule what I’m going to blog about ( obviously this is done in pencil as I change my topic a lot)
- I list out steps to my eventual goal- eg- I am working on a book- I write down each day what I plan on accomplishing- write chapter 3, edit 2, rewrite section that doesn’t make sense, etc…..
- Keep track of water intake
- I write down something I am grateful for . Sometimes I take my life for granted- this is a reminder
- I write down anything that I may want to do. If I put something on paper, I can begin to visualize it. If I can visualize it, I can decide if it’s worth doing. if it’s worth doing, I can plan it. If I plan it- I can do it……
- I also use it to plan for future things- if I know people are coming to my house on the 23rd, I jot down appetizer ideas, music that I might want to play, etc- it’s a great way for me to logically put down my thoughts
- on the notes pages I jot down activities that seem interesting- movies, restaurants, outings. When I am planning leisure time, I go to this section and I pick out something.
Now wasn’t that fun?
Now you just think I’m a wee bit crazy?
Well, you aren’t the only one……
FYI- My dream planner is Day Designer for Blue Sky- I have received no compensation from them, or Target- I just love this planner and wanted to share.